Urban Farm Intern
Urban Farm Internship 2020
Grow It Green Morristown seeks a detail-oriented and creative college student to assist in organizational outreach, program promotion, and fundraising events.
Grow It Green Morristown creates sustainable farms and gardens that provide equal access to fresh, local food, while educating communities through programs focused on healthy eating and environmental stewardship. The non-profit manages three properties: the Early Street Community Garden, Greenhouse at College of Saint Elizabeth’s and the Urban Farm. Once a littered and vacant lot, the Early Street Community Garden is now a one-acre property that provides space for over 100 families to grow their own food, flowers, and herbs. The Greenhouse is a beautiful old building that was underutilized before Grow It Green took it over. The Urban Farm is a one-acre educational farm for the community and the 5,200 children of the Morris School District. All of our cultivation practices follow organic principles and emphasize overall sustainability and biological inputs, but we are not certified organic.
Duties will include:
Hands on physical labor
1. Basic care, feeding, and tending of a large-scale vegetable garden
2. Using farm tools such as pruners, wheelbarrows, garden weeders, etc.
3. Must be able to lift heavy loads (such as soil, compost, rocks, etc.)
5. Must be comfortable using a gas operated tools such as lawn mower and weed-whacker.
A mature, positive attitude
1. Dependable, organized, flexible and have a sense of humor.
2. Can be flexible due to weather constraints (i.e. heavy rain one day may change the work schedule)
3. Must be personable, like working with all kinds of people including children and our diverse community members
4. Work as a member of a team
5. A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, with minimal oversight
6. Excellent communication skills
Other items that are important to both you and us
1. Some office work will be required.
2. Work can sometimes be off-site, like at our community garden location or Greenhouse.
3. Spanish speaking is a plus
4. Must have reliable transportation.
5. Be able to work odd hours
This is a paid, seasonal position. We have work available from early May through early September. The work is part-time up to 25 hours a week for 20 weeks. During the months of May-August, he/she must be able to work on Saturdays each week. The lunch hour is unpaid. There is no housing provided. Submission deadline for the position is April 15th 2020.
As we will consider multiple applicants to cover our needs, on your application, please clearly state the dates you are available to start and end your internship.
When responding, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.