Public Information Specialist 1
Office of Legislative Services
Notice of Vacancy
Title: Public Information Specialist - 1
Location: Office of Legislative Services
Office of Public Information
State House Annex
West State Street, Trenton, New Jersey
Annual Salary: $35,000 (5% increase after six months of satisfactory performance)
The Office of Legislative Services (OLS) is an agency of the New Jersey Legislature established by law to provide professional, nonpartisan staff support services to the Legislature including its officers, members, committees and commissions. OLS operates under the authority of the Legislative Services Commission, a 16-member bipartisan panel with equal representation from each House of the Legislature.
The goal of OLS is to facilitate the work of the New Jersey Legislature and to enable and promote public understanding of the legislative process. As nonpartisan employees of the Legislature, OLS staff are prohibited from engaging in political activity or taking a public position with regard to any matter before the Legislature.
Description: Position includes responsibility for providing basic legislative public information to internal customers and the public. Duties include: staffing the Legislative Information and Bill Room (LIBR) customer service counter and responding to phone, email and in-person requests from internal and external customers by photocopying paper files, downloading from the Legislature’s web site, or utilizing the LIBR Print-On Demand System or the Legislative Inquiry application; logging and numbering proposed Assembly bills and floor amendments for the Assembly clerk staff during sessions; performing various other Assembly bill room and LIBR tasks as assigned.
This position frequently requires overtime work.
· Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, public affairs, communications or related field from an accredited college or university.
* Foreign degrees and/or transcripts must be evaluated by a recognized evaluation service such as the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services and Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. at applicant’s expense. Please attach copy of transcript and evaluation with application. Candidates will not be considered for the position if they fail to provide all requested documents upon initial submittal.
· One year of work experience in customer service, fact-checking, and/or data entry in the public or nonprofit sector;
· Internships in government, public affairs, political science, or public administration.
- Applicants who do not have a bachelor’s degree may substitute additional experience on a year-for-year basis.
Residency Law: Pursuant to the “New Jersey First Act”, all persons newly hired by the Office of Legislative Services, unless exempted by the law, shall have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey. New Jersey state employees hired prior to September 1, 2011 who transfer from another State of New Jersey appointing authority without a break in service greater than seven days but who reside outside the State of New Jersey are not required to change their principal residence to New Jersey in order to comply with the Act.
To Apply please email cover letter and resume by: February 29, 2020
The Office of Legislative Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment which reflects the diversity of the state we serve.